For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's? You Mean, Tuesday?

While everyone else was out eating cheap chocolate and drinking cheaper wine...some of us were being productive. I'm not much for holidays, and Valentines' has never been on the top half of my list. Anywho, let's get into the shop.

Four knives to wrap, and exactly enough foil left on this roll to wrap them. This marks the end of my first full roll of stainless foil for knifemaking. I had another roll that I bought several years ago for making plane irons...and that has been used up too. This one, however, is a bit of a milestone.


After wrapping the blades and getting them into the kiln it was time to go back to last night's project and get it finished up. I LOVE these tap guides.

It occurred to me to secure the two pieces together and do the big hole in one shot. This way I know there won't be any alignment issues when they are fit together in use.

I started by drilling a hole the regular way: with a chuck and a drill bit. However, the final hole dimension is over 1.25", which is best done with a boring head. I just purchased a 2" boring head and this is a good project to break it in. I have a 3" unit, but it just isn't a practical fit on this mill.

Most of the way there.

By the time I was done, I had quite a nice off-set there. The new boring head performed perfectly. Also, using indexable cutting tools on a boring head is the way to go. When I first purchased my 3" boring head it came with brazed carbide cutters. I suppose they're alright, but they are essentially disposable. These are much better for many reasons, including only trading out inserts when they are dull, as opposed to throwing out an entire cutter.

All done!


I can get to work on the finish grinding for these tomorrow. I can start finalizing the bevels and get the flats all finished up. After that, I'll have to decide on handles...which I haven't yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment