For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A Neat Little Transfer Punch

This is a little something I made the other night. I needed to transfer a bunch of countersunk holes for a day job project. I didn't have time at work, and just made it at home. It will probably come in handy for some of my shop stuff, so I had no problem doing it on my own time.

Excuse the long thumb screw, I just didn't feel like trimming it.


The inner piece is .375" OD, with a .187" ID. The ID fits a .187" transfer punch. The outer piece is reamed to a nice sliding fit with the inner piece. The thumb screw, obviously, locks them together.

I can place it against the hole and press the inner piece in to mate with the existing counter sink. then I can lock the outer piece. The face of the outer piece is there to make sure that the punch is held square.


Bam! A perfectly placed punch mark!
This version will do #8, and #10 holes. It might be able to do smaller holes, I haven't checked. The idea is that a couple of these punches would cover a wide range of holes by sliding the inner piece up or down within the outer part in order to seat in the counter sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment