For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Monday, April 17, 2017

Letr's Talk About Stirling Engines

Since I didn't do anything of note this evening, let's have a chat about Stirling engines. If you don't know what they are, then google one. They are pretty neat.

The one I am building is based on this design. The "Stirling 60."

I am making small changes and changing dimensions from metric to imperial on the fly. Just to add that extra bit of frustration that these projects need. I have neither the time nor the inclination to give a cut-by-cut write up on the construction. I'm a machinist and fabricator first. Writing this blog is just my way to let out the remaining creative energy. In other words, my time is dedicated to making and not writing (it shows, I know).

Cutting the cooling grooves for the power cylinder.


Complete power cylinder.

Power piston. Probably the smallest part I've ever machined.

The fit between the power piston and cylinder. Nailed it!
Main crankshaft.

Beginning of the flywheel.


After some bandsawing and lathe work, the flywheel was ready for the slotting/webbing.

Flywheel in process.

Completed flywheel. It still needs a little finish work, but the tough stuff is done.


This little guy was trouble!

Mocked up the flywheel/crankshaft assembly.

A pair of Boca ceramic hybrid bearings for the crankshaft. These are capable of EXTREMELY high RPM's. Luckily, I shouldn't be exceeding about 2500 RPM in use. I just Like Boca bearings...and their ceramics are hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment