For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Die Filer (part 1)

This is a project that I started some time ago. I've done a lot of hemming and hawing over how to do it, and I'm now knee deep in getting it done. Here goes...

Oh, first things first. I s'pose I should answer the question, "What is a die filer?" Simple, it's a small, motor driven, benchtop machine that drives a file. The rotary motion of the motor is converted to reciprocating motion by way of a crank shaft/pully combination. You rest your work on the table and move it around the file. Trust me, it will make sense.

 Here is the basic casting kit as it came from Martin Models. There is a base, table, pulley, and scotch yolk.




Figuring out how to hold the table was the biggest challenge to getting started. I'm new to machining castings and my brain doesn't work that way. It took some thought, as well as some trial and error.

Setting up using some surface clamps that I made. Using just one proved troublesome.

I added a second surface clamp. The piece on the far end is stationary. The little surface clamps have set screws that allow them to clamp down. And they do a fine job of it, by the way.

The idea here was to start on making an initial reference surface. I elected to cut the underside of the table as it was a small surface. 


So...I may have skipped a few pictures. At this point, I was able to use the surface I cut onto the bottom of the table as a reference to cut the top. A few swipes with a 2.5" face mill trued it up. My dial indicator said it was purdy darned flat.

The next challenge was to cut the sides of the pivot boss. To do this, I used my recently acquired mag-chuck. This was cool because I didn't have to clamp anything. This way, the top of the table is the only surface that has any effect on the outcome of the pivot boss.

I made my way around the perimeter of the table. I was basically recutting the original reference surface.

Milling the sides of the boss.


With the boss flat, I mounted an angle plate to my rotary table. From there, I just kept turning the table under the cutter until the slot was fully formed.

Done with the slot.

Adding the center hole. I had to wait to drill the hole because it is referenced from the side of the boss. If I did it all willy-nilly, it would throw off the alignment of the crankshaft assembly. You'll see that later.

Completed table top!


At this point, I'm actually mostly done with a couple more parts that aren't shown yet. Those will make up parts 2 and 3. There are a few more small parts to do as well. I'll get this all caught up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment