For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Porsche: Rennlin Pedals

Yesterday, I installed new pedals and a driver's side floor board into the Boxster. Not a difficult task on paper, but the footwell of a small sports car is not an easy place to work. Though I mainly did this for cosmetic reasons, there are other benefits. One, the rubber grips on the pedals are better than the OEM pedal covers. Second, as I get a little better with performance driving techniques, the shape of the gas pedal lends itself to heel-toe shifting better than the stock pedal.

Let's get started, shall we...

The Rennline floor board and pedals. The four piece pedal set also includes a dead pedal.


This is where I will be working. Good thing I'm still good at getting into small spaces.

Test fitting the floor board. It will clip onto an unused lug on the upper right, but a hole must be drilled on the upper left. I recommend using a carbide drill bit. The steel that you drill into is quite tough, and a regular drill bit will have a hell of a time getting through. At this point, something occurred to me...

...I decided to remove the dead pedal and install the new one before setting the floor board in place.

The fastening screw lined up perfectly with one of the rubber grips. I pulled out the middle grip from the second-to-top row and used that to install the dead pedal.

Dead pedal in, and checking the fit with the floor board. There is a little interference.

Getting the fit right. I just ran the edge on the belt sander and used a file to clean up the edge.

That's better!

I put masking tape on the pedals to make it easier to see where I want to drill. Two of the rubber grips are removed from each of the pedals and those holes are used for the mounting screws.

With the brake and clutch done, it was time for the gas pedal.

All done! I think I will make a little bracket that ties the dead pedal and floor board together. That will make the whole assembly more solid.

Then it was time to go for a ride!!!! I had a bad week at the day job, so hopping into the car and tearing up the back roads was just the therapy I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment