For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Lathe Compound Slide

Starting with squaring up a block of cast iron.

First run on the little fly cutter I just made. I did the big material removal with a large carbide insert face mill and then took the final cut with the fly cutter



Good surface finish with the fly cutter.

Instead of milling 1/8" off of the side of the block, I elected to get sketchy with the band saw.

Roughing out the slot for the dovetail.

This big 3/4" rougher can remove a lot of material fast.

Engage dovetail cutter! This cutter was actually too large for the cut. I ended up cutting on both sides during the first pass. Not a horrible thing, but not ideal.

6-32 threads in cast iron...always fun.


Test fit onto the base with the brass gib.


New compound in the foreground, old one in the back. I added fillets to the left side and front to prevent chips from building up under the tool post. I went with four gib screws instead of three like th original.



When roughing the cut away, my roughing mill pulled from the collet a little bit. I ended up having to blow out the tolerance to make it flat. Luckily not a critical dimension. If this had been for someone else I would have started over.

My ball mill ALSO pulled out during its next to last cut. Not pleased. But no one to blame but myself.

When I was setting up to make this part, I completely forgot to get the 4mm tap to do the holes for the dial on the end of the slide. I'll have to wait to do that until I order more tools and material. So this is done for a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment